Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
Who doesn’t love a good, warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie? What if it also had peanut butter chips mixed in to give your cookie a little something extra? These Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars are easy to make and your entire family will adore them. Just don’t let them know how easy they are to make or you will be making them all the time!
Having a quick, go-to recipe for treats is something that is important to me. I can’t tell you how many times I’m invited to a “Pop-Up Potluck” and have to dash to whip something up. Maybe you have been asked to make something for a bake sale, a family gathering, or any other occasion that you don’t want to bake but feel obligated. These Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars are so easy to get into the oven, it’s sure to keep you from harboring any resentments.
The hardest part of making this recipe is finding a 1/8 cup measuring cup.
Or maybe waiting on the butter to cool off.
I am not kidding. Every other ingredient and step is so simple for me to do that I think I could have my 4-year-old great-niece do it for me. Okay, maybe I wouldn’t let her run the hand mixer, but you get the point.
So gather up your utensils and get these cookie bars in the oven in less than 30 minutes.
- 2 1/8 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 sticks or 1 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat over to 325 degrees F.
- Spray or line a 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray or foil.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter in microwave in 30 second increments. Remove from microwave and let stand until cooled to room temperature.
- In a medium size bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Once butter has cooled, mix in sugars with a hand mixer on medium low. Beat well until mixture is creamy.
- Add in whole egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
- Beat to mix well.
- Beat in dry ingredients until blended well.
- With a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in chocolate and peanut butter chips.
- Pour into prepared 13 x 9" pan.
- Spread evenly.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Here’s a little trick that I like to use when I’m spreading these into the pan. Spray your spatula with a bit of cooking spray before you smooth out the top. Sometimes it can be sticky and tricky to get into the pan evenly. The little blast of cooking spray on your spatula will keep it from sticking and pulling up on you.
Served slightly warm with a glass of milk, these are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. You will be asked for the recipe often. Take these to this summer’s barbecues, family reunions, and other events. Or just enjoy as snacks at home. Goodness knows City Spouse’s sweet tooth adores these cookie bars.