Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Homemade Strawberry Syrup
I don’t know if I have mentioned this before, but City Spouse has one heck of a sweet tooth. Lately, I’ve been trying to keep some fresh ingredients in his treats, and this Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Homemade Strawberry Syrup is one of the best. (A little trick I have since with his Crohn’s he isn’t allowed seeds- take an immersion blender to the syrup once it’s done cooking to break them all up.) Actually, he enjoys the pound cake plain, so I only make the syrup for myself anymore.
New Spin on Strawberry Shortcake
This is a lot like back when my Grandma used to make strawberry shortcake for us all. However, I’m not a shortcake fan… I’ve always found it too dry and crumbly for my taste.
I typically don’t like certain foods due to their texture, not their flavor. Like refried beans. I hate those darned things… not because I don’t like beans, I just don’t like mushy stuff. I know I can’t be the only one that way.
Summer Freshness to Soothe Your Sweet Tooth
Try making a couple of loaves of this amazing pound cake tonight. Whip up a batch of strawberry syrup, which also goes amazingly on pancakes, waffles or french toast for a fresh take on breakfast.
This may be one of your new favorite desserts!
- 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In your stand mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add sugar and continue beating until light and slightly fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing until completely incorporated before adding in another.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Mix in flour slowly. Mix first 1 1/2 cup in completely before beginning with second half.
- Grease and flour two loaf pans.
- Divide batter evenly between two pans (they may seem overly full but that is fine) and tap gently on your countertop to remove any air bubbles.Bake at 350 for 60 to 75 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool at least 10 minutes in the pans before turning on to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Store for up to 3 days at room temperature; 2 weeks in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 3 months.
- For simple Homemade Strawberry Syrup
- 1 pint fresh strawberries- hulled and chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Combine strawberries and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture is at a soft boil. Continue to simmer, stirring constantly for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, add vanilla and let cool before storing in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Moist, sweet (but not too sweet) and paired with the strawberry syrup this is just the perfect summer dessert. Especially for those who love cheesecake but don’t want to mess with keeping it too chilled. This is a surefire win at any summer potluck.
Not only does this pound cake pair well with strawberries (I sometimes add whipped cream) but it can go with just about any topping you can dream up. I have topped it with chocolate ganache and peanut butter cups; blackberry or blueberry syrup, and I also absolutely love to eat it plain.
Let me know if you try it and how you like it!!