Crab Cake Macaroni & Cheese
This creamy, cheesy, crabby macaroni and cheese takes a childhood favorite and blends in a bit more pizzazz. Make tonight Crab Cake Macaroni & Cheese night.
Ever want the comfort of macaroni and cheese but don’t know what to pair it with (other than hot dogs for the kiddos) to get some protein added to your weeknight meal? Look no further than this quick but sophisticated macaroni and cheese.
After a long day at work, I still want City Spouse and me to have a decent dinner. Now, granted, I’m ready for supper at 5:30 pm and he would be completely happy waiting until 8 pm to eat. But there is no way I’m eating at my bedtime! This I can make as early as I want to in the evening so that I can eat when I’m hungry. It’s simple to keep warm for him to grab whenever he finally decides to eat his dinner.
I personally think that sitting down to a screen-free dinner would be the best option for both of us so that we could get a little “quality time” in each day. With all of my irons in the fire, sometimes that just isn’t a feasible option. At least 3 times a week I make him stare at me across the dinner table so that even if we don’t have anything interesting to talk about, at least we are together.
This is one of my favorite weeknight dinners. I can have everything ready to go within 45 minutes from the time I start. I tend to only be able to find the sharp white cheddar cheese in blocks. By shredding ahead of time when I purchase on grocery day (Sunday morning) I save myself weekday time. If you find a good sale, buy a couple and go ahead and shred it up and freeze it. I always shred my cheese before freezing. The texture changes when it thaws and makes it more difficult to work with.
Make tonight Crab Cake Macaroni & Cheese night!
Crab Cake Macaroni & Cheese
- 12 oz. Penne pasta
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 16 oz. imitation crab meat, flake style
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Preheat broiler.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well. Rinse with cold water; drain. Set aside.
- Mix Panko, Parmesan, oil and thyme in a small bowl until blended well. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large ovenproof frying pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Whisk until bubbling and lightly browned. Add milk and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce begins to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheddar and stir until blended and melted.
- Add crab and pasta.
- Toss into sauce gently to coat evenly and reheat pasta.
- Make sure crab mixture is spread evenly in bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle with Panko/Parmesan mixture.
- Broil 5" from heat for about 1 minute, or until well browned.
- Top with green onions.
Add this to your “To Try” meal idea folder to make. Please make sure to stop back by and tell me what you (and your family) thought of Crab Cake Macaroni & Cheese night!